Occupational Therapy Helps People With Multiple Sclerosis
Activities of daily living — Self-feeding, dressing, bathing, grooming, and toileting
Home management tasks — Meal prep/cooking, cleaning, laundry
- Work-related tasks — Adaptive techniques for using tools, a computer or other work activities.
Occupational therapy also helps people develop strategies to deal with changes in memory, concentration, organization, or other cognitive issues.
How can occupational therapy help me?
Your OT program may include:
- Stretching, strengthening and coordination exercises for upper body, arm and hand function
- Fatigue management strategies
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Self-Care training in dressing, bathing, grooming, toileting and self-feeding with adaptive utensils
- Independent living skills training in cooking, cleaning, laundry and homemaking
- Home and Workplace modification
- Adaptive Equipment for bathroom equipment, dressing and grooming aids, computer modifications,
- Leisure/hobby skill development
Occupational Therapy at Therapy Achievements
Karen Allen Hislop, OTR/L is one of the occupational therapists at Therapy Achievements. She hosts the Huntsville MS Awareness Meetings and has worked with patients with MS for over 20 years. She has taken advanced training in the LSVT Big and NDT programs for movement and balance, is an adaptive technology practioner, and a certified driving rehabilitation specialist. Occupational therapy services are typically covered by health insurance and Therapy Achievements is an in-network provider for most insurances.
Therapy Achievements is a Rehabilitation Center that provides Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy for Balance and Movement, Speech and Swallowing, Swelling from Lymphedema and Edema, Driving Rehabilitation and Functional Living Skills for visual and cognitive re-training. We help people with Brain Injury, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Lymphedema, Head and Neck Cancer, and other disorders that interfere with mobility and function. We offer VitalStim Technology, Saebo Technology, LSVT LOUD Treatment, LSVT BIG Treatment, and Neuro-Developmental Treatment.