Therapy Achievements welcomes Occupational Therapy interns Dominique and Monique Fitchard. Dominique and Monique are twin sisters who were both accepted into the Occupational Therapy program at Tuskegee University and who are both completing their internships at Therapy Achievements. They enjoy the variety of patients they are able to work with at Therapy Achievements and have been instrumental in further developing the vision therapy program. They are from Huntsville and attended Johnson High School. In their free time they enjoy cosmetology and hair.
Occupational Therapy Internships are a “win-win-win” service at Therapy Achievements:
- Interns “win” by being able to learn from experienced staff and by having the opportunity to perfect their patient treatment skills.
- Therapy Achievements “wins” by keeping their skill sets sharp and knowledge base up to date.
- Patients “win” by getting extra time and attention during their treatment.
5 Advantages of Working with Interns
When set up correctly, occupational therapy internships provide advantages for not only the intern and therapy clinic, but for the patient as well. Here are the top 5 reasons occupational therapy internships are beneficial:
- Interns bring cutting edge knowledge: Interns bring with them knowledge of the latest trends in treatment, the latest research findings regarding treatment, and fresh ideas for how to approach problems. This augments the abilities of your professional workforce and brings renewed energy levels.
- Interns’ patients recover faster and have fewer complications: A study published by The Journal of the American College of Surgeons found patients who developed complications during hospitalization were more likely to recover when they had interns involved in their care than patients who did not have interns involved in their care. Interns’ patients were also less likely to fall into the “domino effect” of complications, where one problem leads to another. Interns spent more time with their patients and spent more time thinking about the rationale for and possible complications of treatment options.
- Interns connect university research and resources to local therapy clinics: Interns have access to university research and resources that are normally not available to local therapy clinics. Because of this, interns can connect local therapy clinics and their patients to current research projects that would not normally be available to them.
- Interns enable therapy clinics to better develop their programs: Interns enable extra time for therapy clinics to work on projects and develop treatment protocols. Interns have access to university resources and can complete in-depth study of treatment techniques or assist with develop treatment protocols that regular staff do not have time or resources to do. In addition, by freeing up staff from some of the patient treatment load, staff have time to refine treatment techniques and protocols.
- Interns enable therapy clinics to give back to the community: Creating an internship program is an excellent way to give back. Experienced staff can share knowledge they have gained with upcoming therapists and enhance not only the local healthcare community but the local workforce as a whole.
Therapy Achievements is a Rehabilitation Center that provides Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy for Balance and Movement, Speech and Swallowing, Swelling from Lymphedema and Edema, Driving Rehabilitation and Functional Living Skills for visual and cognitive re-training. We help people with Brain Injury, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Lymphedema, Head and Neck Cancer, Vertigo and Dizziness, and other disorders that interfere with mobility and function. We offer VitalStim Technology, Saebo Technology, LSVT LOUD Treatment, LSVT BIG Treatment, and Neuro-Developmental Treatment.