2016 Huntsville Lymphedema Conference
Join us Sat 7-9-16 from 1-3:00 at Clearview Cancer Institute for information about breast cancer surgery options by Dr. Caroline Schreeder and highlights from the Lighthouse Lymphedema Conference about latest research on treatment of lymphedema by Karen Allen Hislop, CLT.
2 Free CEUs will be available for healthcare workers.
Paula Tedin-Moschovas will be collecting data from patients and lymphedema therapists for her research project on lymphedema.
Cynthia Massey Parsons will be present with a special exhibit of dog and animal portraits.
Jaime Richardson will be providing music.
Dr. Caroline Schreeder specializes in breast cancer surgery
The value of surgery for her brother led Dr. Caroline Schreeder to become a general surgeon. The impact of surgery that helped her brother led Schreeder initially to enter the field of medicine. " He was born with neuromuscular condition that the orthopedic surgeons were unfamiliar with. My brother underwent multiple procedures to alleviate his condition," she said.
"I was always fascinated with how much more functional he could be from a single surgery," Schreeder said. "I decided I wanted to be that person able to make that change in a person's life."
At first interested in orthopedic surgery, Schreeder completed surgery clinicals and "knew general surgery was the place for me. I enjoyed the variety of surgery and the opportunity for creativity within the field."
Schreeder earned a bachelor's degree in liberal arts and English at the University of St. Thomas in Houston. She graduated from the University of Texas Medical School, also in Houston. Family ties influenced her decision to practice in Madison. Her husband's family lives in Huntsville. "My father-in-law is hematologist-oncologist here and has had nothing but wonderful experiences and relayed those to me," she said. "I admire the kind of community that exists here highly educated, compassionate and empathetic people and physicians."
Her patients are adolescents and adults who need laparoscopic surgery for any type of hernia, cholecystectomy, appendectomy, thyroidectomy, splenectomy, open hernia repair, bowel or colon resection, port placement, lesion removal and breast surgery.
Her husband Dr. Martin Schreeder works as an emergency room physician. She holds membership in the American College of Surgeons, American Women in surgery and Madison Medical Alliance.
To contact Dr. Schreeder, call 256-265-5951
Karen Allen Hislop has been practicing occupational therapy for over 20 years and specializes in treatment of lymphedema. Since graduating from the University of North Dakota, she has completed extensive training in treatment techniques for individuals with stroke, brain and spinal cord injury, Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, Parkinson's Disease and lymphatic disorders. Her credentialing includes Certified Lymphedema Therapist, NDT Practitioner, LSVT BIG Practitioner, SaeboFlex Technology Practitioner, VitalStim Practioner, Certified Driving Rehabilitation Specialist, and Seating Specialist for Wheelchair fittings. Karen completed her MBA in 2002 and formed Therapy Achievements in 2009.
Cynthia Massey Parsons specializes in portraits, oils, watercolor and pastels[/caption]
Southern artist Cynthia Massey Parsons is a multi-faceted, creative talent. In addition to dramatic formal oil & pastel portraiture, her work includes abstracts with mirrored gloss, and the exploration of flamboyant floral and landscape themes. Her list of accomplishments is extensive and her work has been exhibited in solo shows, juried museum exhibitions, and is represented in selected galleries of note. Her courtroom sketches have appeared on both CBS and ABC affiliated stations. Her work includes:
Formal Portraits: Pope John Paul II, His Eminence John Cardinal O'Connor, the first Archbishop of New York, Senator Howell Heflin, First Lady Hilary Clinton and daughter Chelsea, Coach Gene Stallings and son John Mark, General Howell H. Howze, General William Bunker, Grandmaster Yong Ju Lee
Posters and Book Publications:
- Cynthia was selected to design the official poster for the 1996 Olympic Soccer Games and published a collection of action soccer paintings entitled Impressions - Men's Summer Soccer '96.
- Cynthia was chosen By Books-A-Million to design the Iron Bowl poster Pride Runs Deep with University of Alabama Coach Gene Stallings .
- The Alabama Bureau of Tourism & Travel selected Cynthia was to design the Stars Fall on Alabama poster.
- Cynthia's Smocked Christmas stocking appears in Christmas with Southern Living 1982.
- Following 911, Cynthia was commissioned to paint Spirit of America . Her coloring book Fire Fighters, American Heroes - Fire Safety & Prevention was presented by Teledyne Engineering to selected elementary students in Huntsville.
- Cynthia was awarded The Legion of Honor Humanitarian Award by the Four Chaplains Memorial Foundation. The award is "given in recognition of a lifetime commitment to selfless service and societal advancement that has demonstrably affected the quality of life in the community, state or nation, service without regard to faith or race. The selection process for this award is rigorous."
- She was selected by the NASA Emeritus program as one of the 101 Rocket Center Inventors for her patented Smock Gathering Machine Mount. The exhibit was a companion to the USSRC 101 Inventions That Changed the World exhibition and was on display throughout 2015.
- She was appointed by the state governor to design and create a Christmas ornament for the Official United States White House Christmas Tree and attend the White House Christmas Reception honoring artists selected artists in 2001.
- She was confirmed as a Special Consultant to the International Association of Educators For World Peace of the United Nations' Non-Governmental Organization in February 2003 in recognition of her work to better her community. She worked along side other key participants to build the platform from which Panoply was born.
- She has been included in Who's Who in American Art since 2010.
- In 1977 she was included in Outstanding Young Women of America.
- She was awarded Signature Status in the Watercolor Society of Alabama in Oct 2014 and her paintings were accepted into Watercolor Society of Alabama National Exhibits in 2013, 2014 & 2015 and in October 2014.
- She received an Honorable Mention for her work at the Mississippi Watercolor Society Grand National Exhibit.
- Her paintings have been selected in numerous years for the Energen's Annual Wonders of Alabama Art Competition. Her oil painting Streets of Paris won the People's Choice Award of $2500.
- She received the 2000 Arts Alive Award for Excellence and Support of Alabama Arts by the Children's Hands-On Museum; Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- Her work was selected for the 35th & 36th Annual Mini-Works on Paper at Jackson State University.
- Her watercolor students are also receiving national recognition for their art.
Jaime Richardson specializes in speech and swallowing disorders
She joined Speech Therapy at Therapy Achievements in 2015. She specializes in dysphagia (swallowing impairment), cognitive rehabilitation, Traumatic Brain Injury, Memory Impairment and is Vital Stim, Myofascial Release, and is LSVT ( Loud Program) certified. She has a degree in Sociology with minor in Psychology from the University of North Alabama and Master's in Speech Language Pathology from Alabama A and M University. She loves to read, play the piano and enjoys composition with interests in sound and proper hearing mechanics for functional healthy daily living. She is a native of North Alabama and loves the outdoors!