Dementia describes the loss of memory, language, problem-solving and other thinking abilities that are severe enough to interfere with daily life. Alzheimer’s Disease is the most common cause of dementia, but it can also occur with Lewy Body Dementia, Vascular Dementia, Frontotemporal Dementia, Parkinson’s Disease and other neurological disorders.
Speech therapy is an important part of managing dementia. Speech therapists help:
- Identify strategies to structure the environment, utilize compensation techniques and develop routines to maximize cognitive function
- Assess eating and swallowing skills and provide any needed intervention
- Monitor voice volume and respiratory support and give exercises to build lung capacity. This reduces the risk of pneumonia.
- Physical therapy helps improve balance, strength and endurance to reduce risk of falls and maximize independent mobility.
- Occupational therapy provides strategies and interventions to help stay independent with dressing, bathing, toileting, and home management activities.
Therapy Achievements understands that peer support provides a benefit that extends beyond what therapy can provide. To that end, Therapy Achievements partners with the Alzheimer’s Association to enable support group meetings in Huntsville. The Alzheimer Support Group meets the 3rd Tue of even months and details can be found on our events calendar.